Port of Los Angeles faces 10% cargo drop amid new US tariffs, warns director


Daijiworld Media Network – Los Angeles

Los Angeles, Apr 5: The Port of Los Angeles, America’s largest gateway for international trade, could witness a 10 per cent decline in cargo volume later this year due to sweeping new tariffs announced by former US President Donald Trump, warned executive director Gene Seroka.

In an interview with Politico, Seroka expressed deep concern over the impact of the new levies, which he said target key imports such as lumber from Canada, appliances from Mexico, and various goods from China. “All of those commodities and more were hit with the highest tax we’ve ever seen in yesterday’s announcement,” he said.

The latest tariff policy imposes a 10 per cent baseline on all imports starting April 5, with significantly higher duties—24 per cent on Japan, 25 per cent on South Korea, and a staggering 34 per cent on China—kicking in from April 9. With an existing 20 per cent fentanyl-related tariff, China now faces a crippling 54 per cent total tariff.

"This will cause a dramatic slowdown," Seroka stated, warning that the economic impact would ripple across the LA region. “It’s my view that the second half of this year, we’re going to start to see a drop in cargo—at least 10 per cent at the nation’s largest port here in Los Angeles.”

Following the tariff announcement, importers rushed to get goods into the US before the new duties take effect, leading to record cargo movement through the twin ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach in November. However, with that surge now over, supply chain experts predict a sharp slowdown.

Business leaders fear reduced cargo flow will severely affect the trade and transportation sector—one of LA County’s largest employers, which supported around 830,000 workers last year, according to the LA County Economic Development report.

“There will be fewer employment opportunities at the ports and throughout the supply chain,” said Jock O’Connell, a trade advisor at Beacon Economics. “This will hit jobs from the ports all the way into the Inland Empire.”

Seroka echoed the concern, saying, “You’ll see folks that have to scramble pretty quickly to keep their jobs and keep food on the table. It’s going to be disruptive.”

The anticipated cargo decline could have far-reaching implications, not only for Southern California’s economy but for the broader national supply chain and consumer markets.

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Port of Los Angeles faces 10% cargo drop amid new US tariffs, warns director



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.