Daijiworld Media Network - Gaza
Gaza, Apr 4: Israel has launched a fresh ground offensive in Gaza City’s Shujaiya area, escalating its ongoing military campaign against Hamas. The latest military actions have reportedly killed at least 30 people across Gaza since dawn, with one airstrike in Khan Yunis alone claiming 25 lives, according to local health officials.
Gaza's civil defence agency warned the toll could rise further, calling the situation “very dangerous.” “There is death coming at us from every direction,” said Elena Halas, a resident trapped in the conflict zone.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said the offensive aimed to “expand the security zone” and clear the area of terrorist infrastructure. Defence Minister Yoav Gallant had earlier pledged to strengthen the Israeli military presence in Gaza to “seize large areas” and apply pressure on Hamas to release hostages captured in the October 2023 attack.
The campaign in Gaza was accompanied by expanded military operations in Lebanon and Syria.
In southern Lebanon’s Sidon, a precision Israeli strike killed Hassan Farhat, a senior Hamas commander, along with his son and daughter. Farhat was accused by Israel of orchestrating several attacks, including a deadly rocket strike on the Israeli town of Safed in February.
The strike drew condemnation from Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, who called it a “flagrant violation of Lebanese sovereignty” and a breach of the Hezbollah-Israel ceasefire agreement.
Meanwhile, Syria also witnessed Israeli airstrikes targeting military infrastructure, prompting concern from the United Nations. A UN statement warned the attacks risk undermining stability in the post-Assad transitional phase.
Back in Gaza, the humanitarian toll continues to mount. A strike on Dar al-Arqam School, sheltering displaced families, killed at least 31 people, including women and children. The Israeli military claimed to have targeted a Hamas command center in the area, though it did not confirm if it was the same location.
According to Gaza’s health ministry, more than 1,160 people have been killed since Israel resumed intensified bombardment on March 18. The total death toll since October now exceeds 50,500, making this one of the deadliest phases of the conflict.
Despite international appeals for de-escalation, Israel maintains its strategy of territorial control and intensified pressure on Hamas until all remaining hostages are freed.